Guidelines for Authors
Castanea: Occasional Papers in Eastern Botany (hereafter called "occasional paper") was established in January 2003 to feature long manuscripts not appropriate for a regular issue of Castanea, collections of shorter manuscripts that treat topics not usually published in Castanea, and proceedings arising from symposia and conferences.
Authors who have manuscripts longer than 25 printed pages (typically 50 manuscript pages) may wish to have such considered for publication as an occasional paper.
Each issue of an occasional paper will fulfill the following criteria:
- Typically, a print run will be 1,200; all members and subscribers for the current year will receive a copy.
- SABS will not publish more than one issue of an occasional paper per year; however, the society may consider publishing two articles in a single issue, if appropriate.
- The author is responsible for editing and printing charges. Publication costs for an occasional paper include charges of $60 per page, charged to each author. SABS Council may decide that it is appropriate to subsidize publication costs. Grants or gifts may help defray costs to authors. Costs may change, as deemed appropriate by SABS Council.
- The author will receive 25 copies of the occasional paper at no additional charge. Additional copies can be provided at a cost agreed upon by the author and SABS Treasurer (or President) at the time of the original publication. Extra copies needed at a later date must be negotiated directly with Allen Press and SABS will not subsidize any additional costs.
- SABS has the right to sell the extra copies of the original print run at an appropriate price so as to break even or make some money for a special project approved by SABS council.
The following procedure shall be followed for submitting a manuscript:
- A manuscript shall be initially sent to the managing editor of Castanea. The managing editor will forward the manuscript to the chair of the editorial committee.
- The chair of the editorial committee shall determine if a manuscript is appropriate for consideration as an occasional paper, based on topic and length. An author of a rejected article (for lack of appropriateness) may appeal the decision to a 3-person review committee composed of the society president and the two most recent past-presidents.
- An appropriate manuscript will be assigned an editor by the chair of the editorial committee or the SABS president. The editor may be one of the current editorial committee members or another person deemed acceptable by the SABS Council (a vote of council may occur via e-mail or phone).
- The occasional paper editor shall send the manuscript out for review in the same way as any manuscript submitted to Castanea.
- Once the manuscript is accepted for publication, it is forwarded to the managing editor (or a designee determined by Council) for processing.
- Publication and distribution of an occasional paper must coincide with a regular issue of Castanea so as to reduce mailing costs.
Approved by SABS Council, October 2006