Earl Core Student Award
Earl L. Core (1902-1984) was a professor of Biology and West Virginia University for many years. Dr. Core was a major force in the founding of the Southern Appalachian Botanical Club in 1935, served as president in 1950 and was editor of the journal Castanea for 35 years.
The annual Core Student Award was established by the Society in 1996 to provide financial assistance in support of student research projects in plant taxonomy, systematics, and ecology. The application deadline is February 15 each year.
Criteria and Procedures
- An applicant for a Core Student Award and his/her research advisor must be members of the Southern Appalachian Botanical Society (SABS).
- Support in the form of a Core Student Award will be presented to an individual student for a given research project only once; applications for additional support for the same project will not be considered.
- The research advisor will attest to the applicant's student status and validity of the research proposal.
- The annual award period will run from May 1 of the award year through April 30 of the next year.
- An individual award may not exceed $500.
- Award applications for consideration each year must be received by the committee chair no later than February 15 of the award year (see application cover sheet) for submission information. The chair will transmit copies of each application to other members of the committee and will subsequently report the decision of the committee to the Society president by April 1st. Award recipients will be announced in April at the annual meeting of SABS.
- Awards will be designated on a competitive basis with the applications reviewed and awardee(s) selected by the Core Student Award Committee. Should a member of the committee be the research advisor of an applicant, he/she will be excused as a reviewer for that Recipients of a Core Student Award are expected to submit a summary for publication in Chinquapin (our newsletter). Though not required, recipients are encouraged to submit the results of their research to Castanea for possible publication. In any case, oral presentation(s) and/or publication(s) resulting from financial support will appropriately acknowledge SABS.
Submit completed applications to:
Dr. Jay Bolin
Department of Biology, Catawba College
2300 W. Innes St.
Salisbury, NC 28144
Phone: 704-637-4450 E-mail: email@example.com
2012-2013 Earl Core Student Award Committee
- Jay F. Bolin, Catawba College, Chair (2010-2013)
- Jimmy Triplett, Jacksonville State Univeristy (2011-2014)
- Rachel Schmidt Jabaily, Rhodes College (2012-2015)