Earl Core Student Research Award
Earl L. Core (1902-1984) was a professor of Biology and West Virginia University for many years. Dr. Core was a major force in the founding of the Southern Appalachian Botanical Club in 1935, served as president in 1950 and was editor of the journal Castanea for 35 years.
The annual Core Student Research Award was established by the Society in 1996 to provide financial assistance in support of student research projects in plant taxonomy, systematics, and ecology. The application deadline is February 15 each year.
Criteria and Procedures
- An applicant for a Core Student Research Award and his/her research advisor must be members of the Southern Appalachian Botanical Society (SABS).
- Support in the form of a Core Student Research Award will be presented to an individual student for a given research project only once; applications for additional support for the same project will not be considered.
- The research advisor will attest to the applicant's student status and validity of the research proposal.
- The annual award period will run from May 1 of the award year through April 30 of the next year.
- An individual award may not exceed $500.
- Award applications for consideration each year must be received by the committee chair no later than March 8. See application cover sheet for submission information. The chair will transmit copies of each application to other members of the committee and will subsequently report the decision of the committee to the Society president by April 1st. Award recipients will be announced in April at the annual meeting of SABS.
- Awards will be designated on a competitive basis with the applications reviewed and awardee(s) selected by the Core Student Research Award Committee. Should a member of the committee be the research advisor of an applicant, he/she will be excused as a reviewer for that proposal. Recipients of a Core Student Research Award are expected to submit a summary for publication in Chinquapin (our newsletter). Though not required, recipients are encouraged to submit the results of their research to Castanea for possible publication. In any case, oral presentation(s) and/or publication(s) resulting from financial support will appropriately acknowledge SABS.
Submit completed applications to:
Rachel Schmidt Jabaily, Chair
Phone: 901-843-3558 E-mail: email@example.com
2014-2015 Earl Core Student Research Award Committee
- Rachel Schmidt Jabaily (2012-2015)
- Lisa Kelly (2014-2016)
- Chris Randle (2014-2017)
This page updated 11 February 2015